[ExI] The Great Gatsby Curve

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 1 22:39:56 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 12:39 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Great Gatsby Curve

I don't resent the rich either, but I do wonder where their money is.  Is it invested and helping the economy, or just sitting collecting interest?  I assume the former, so the rich are not just enjoying the economy, they are stimulating it, if I am correct.

bill w

If it is just sitting collecting interest, it is still invested, just not by you.  When you put money in the bank, they invest it and give you part of the profit.  Most people who have a ton of money invest it in something.  The really super rich tend to invest in things only they can invest in (less competition that way) such as new therapies and drugs.

Your banked money has to be invested in less risky stuff, like local real estate, so the payoff isn’t as big.