[ExI] big rip in education

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 00:10:52 UTC 2019

On Mar 6, 2019, at 3:21 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can include doctors of philosophy, psychology, sociology and others in your thinking, as many of them are cab drivers and burger flippers, too.  It pays grad schools to graduate as many as they can and not tell their students about the job markets.  bill w

The few philosophy degree holders I know actually tend to work in technology. Of course, they gave undergrad degrees. The few PhDs in philosophy I do know either have jobs in academia — as professors of philosophy or related fields — or have some way above minimum wage jobs. I don’t know any burger flippers with PhDs. I’m sure there are some out there. (The only PhDs in psychology I know are either professors or working in research or, in one case, retired from academia.) This is, of course, anecdotal....

But I believe most PhDs end up being employed in academia — more than half percentage-wise, if memory serves. That would seem to mean that the joke about driving a cab or flip burgers isn’t representative. I imagine it wouldn’t be because the PhD track involves much more effort, so it would tend to weed out those interested merely in signaling or those who aren’t as focused on, say, going into research. (In my work life, which is perhaps shorter than most here, I’ve rarely run across PhDs anyplace I’ve worked who weren’t being paid well.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst