[ExI] roboert bradbury's writings

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:41:17 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> Does anyone here know the protocol about one's writings after one has passed
> on?  Robert had some papers published online, but I don't know what became
> of his archives.  His old domain was aevios.com but if you look for that
> now, it comes up as a 404.
>
> In general, how are papers online treated if the author passes unexpectedly?

>From a legal point of view,
https://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/public-domain-faq.html says,
"In general, works published after 1977 will not fall into the public
domain until 70 years after the death of author, or, for corporate
works, anonymous works, or works for hire, 95 years from the date of
publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever expires
first."

But that's assuming there's anyone who cares - heirs, usually, and
almost always only because they think they might get some money out of
them; they almost never care about the work itself ("moral rights",
wishing to complete an unfinished story, or whatever).  For works
where nobody's expecting to profit (which is likely the case here),
treat them as if they were public domain already.