[ExI] elite college bribery scandal

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue Mar 19 00:10:37 UTC 2019

Quoting Bill Wallace:

> Long before this latest craze, Harvard etc. was the place to go to
> meet people.  It doesn't matter what your grades are.  You will meet
> the elite who will run politics, business, and who knows what else.
> Joining the elite clubs gives you ins for life if you are accepted.
> Even at lower levels, where you got your MBA or doctorate is a
> bragging right thing.  You won't be asked what you did your
> dissertation on - you will be asked what university you went to.
> The only way to beat this system for the individual is to be a
> genius. Nobody cared where Einstein got educated.

This is pretty much the way things are. My question is thus: is this
way things ought to be? The reason I ask is that America seems to be a
plutocratic republic with delusions of being an egalitarian
meritocracy. I am not entirely against the idea of a plutocracy, but
if so, then why the pretense toward meritocracy? Is it so that elites
privileged from birth can pat themselves on the back for walking to
the finish line of a very unfair race? Is it to keep the proles
thinking that they are one promotion or innovation away from the big
leagues? Is it a deliberate scam to sell student loans? Or some
pathological form of self-deception?

And going off of Caplan's premises, if we have it within our
technological reach to make educational dimplomas and degrees honest
signals of academic achievement rather than signals of wealth and
privilege, should we implement that technology? Would it make a
difference?

Stuart LaForge