[ExI] experiments on privacy: was: RE: privacy

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Mar 21 01:25:28 UTC 2019

Quoting Spike:

> Ja there is that.  I am one of those who has (so far) no reason to hide
> anything I am doing.  At some future time I can see it, but my life is still
> more private than my cousin's children.  They post eeeeverything about every
> detail of their lives on FaceBook.  I don't see why anyone would care about
> my life if they have the option of watching the young and beautiful, free.
> I hafta wonder what impact this has had on the porno industry, when anyone
> can get online and just get everything free.  National Geographic must be
> struggling to survive.

Your cousins have a right to make as much of their lives public as
they want, just as you have a right to keep as much of your life
private as you want. Just keep in mind that any information you put
online is public to the nth degree and companies whose business model
involves keeping your information secret can't. Looking at you, Equifax.

To quote Edward Snowden:  “Arguing that you don't care about the right
to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than
saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to
say.”

I think that a completely transparent society will cause us to lose
even the illusion of individuality causing us to evolve into some kind
of collective hive mind. That is neither good nor bad in and of
itself. The question simply is, is that what we want?

Stuart LaForge