[ExI] experiments on privacy

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Mar 21 19:10:26 UTC 2019

Spike wrote:

>> ...To quote Edward Snowden:  “Arguing that you don't care about the
>> right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different
>> than saying you don't care about free speech because you have
>> nothing to say.”
>
> I disagree completely.  Those two things are not the same at all.
>
> Americans have the right to free speech, a right I feel is under
> fierce attack now more than ever.  It has never been clear to me we
> have the right to privacy outside our homes.  I completely recognize
> there are those who object to that notion.

The 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution reads:

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I am no SCOTUS judge but I think that "papers" is the 18th century
equivalent of "data". That is to say that if electronic media were
available to the Founders, they would have included it in this
amendment.

Also everything that is connected to the Internet is "in public" now
even if it inside your home. In fact, it would seem that your home no
longer has an "inside" with regards to the law, if you have so much as
a cell phone in your home.

If the police cannot search your house for your friend the criminal
without a warrant, why should they be able to search your phone
contacts list for the same person without a warrant? Because they
consider it metadata instead of data? That is a distinction without a
difference as they are both electronically stored Shannon information
that ought to belong exclusively to YOU.

Stuart LaForge