[ExI] fermi question alive and well

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:21:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:45 AM Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

>> For the zoo hypothesis to be true ET would have to somehow circumvent
>> the Second Law Of Thermodynamics (where does the waste heat from ET's
>> civilization go and why can't we find it?)
>>

> *> Maybe they don't waste it.*

The law of physics I think even a Jupiter Brain in the year 3019 would most
likely still believe to be true is the Second Law of Thermodynamics, more
than the first law or General Relativity or Quantum Mechanics or anything
else. I agree 100% with Arthur Eddington who said:

*“The law that entropy always increases holds, I think, the supreme
position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your
pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations -
then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be
contradicted by observation - well, these experimentalists do bungle things
sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the Second Law of
Thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it to collapse
in deepest humiliation.”*

John K Clark