[ExI] fermi question alive and well

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 02:18:44 UTC 2019

John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> The law of physics I think even a Jupiter Brain in the year 3019 would most
likely still believe to be true is the Second Law of Thermodynamics,

I think the second law prevents a Jupiter Brain from being built.

The problem is that computation produces waste heat and that has to be
radiated to keep the "brain" from overheating.  There are conflicting
problems with large computational nodes, you need to keep the size
small to minimize speed of light delays and you need to make it large
to get rid of the waste heat.  (Or you can sink it in the deep ocean.)

Keith