[ExI] spike and chess

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri May 17 12:26:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 8:50 PM Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

*> The number of possible moves in chess quickly scales after a few moves
> to truly ridiculous numbers so we may be waiting awhile.  I've heard 10^120
> bandied about which may be the high end up of estimates but even if it's
> somewhat less, it remains an enormous amount.  GO is even worse. *

There are 10^172  possible board positions in GO, that's 10 million billion
billion billion billion billion times more than Chess. There are only 10^80
atoms in the observable universe so no computer is ever going to play GO at
a superhuman level by brute force calculating every possibility, it's going
to need to be clever. And they are clever because today computers can play
GO at a superhuman level.

John K Clark