[ExI] Just some thoughts, nothing new really

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri May 17 13:02:11 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 11:01 PM Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I agree with most of that except for your use of the word "home", you
>> obviously don't mean the few thousand square feet under your roof but the
>> few million square miles in the entire USA. And even that may be too small
>> because true hardcore libertarians think nations are phoney artificial
>> divisions, so if you count the entire Earth as your "home" do you have the
>> right to kick me off the planet (perhaps into a hypothetical afterlife) if
>> you don't want to be associated with me?
>>

> *> ###  So we agree that I have the right to exclude others in my own
> home. Good. But then you tell me I do not have the right to exclude others
> at the level of the nation-state or above. OK, then tell me at which
> intermediate level of organization - street, neighborhood, city, county,
> province/state - do I lose the right of exclusion, and why. *

Hey I asked you first! Nevermind I'll try to answer anyway. Political
morality is not a precise science but if pressed I would say the area
directly under your roof is much too small to be considered your "home", it
should certainly include your front and back yard and you should have the
right to exclude people from there for any reason you like or for no reason
at all. I would also say the entire surface area of planet Earth is much
too large to be considered your "home" and you don't have the right to
exclude people from there. Now it's your turn, at what intermediate level
of organization - street, neighborhood, city, county, province/state  do
you lose the right of exclusion?

By the way I was surprised you were talking about the country, I thought
strict libertarians didn't believe in the legitimacy of the state. I'm also
curious if before Trump started making all those noises with his mouth you
really thought illegal immigration was number one on the list of human
existential problems that will face us in the next 25 years; I agree it's a
problem but I'd put it at about number 142 on my list.

 John K Clark