[ExI] Vint Cerf on AI, at ORNL

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Sep 4 19:53:25 UTC 2019

Quoting Dave Sill:

  "Risk factors in the Overhyping
> of AI and Machine Learning."
>
> Per Cerf's abstract: "Artificial Intelligence, especially Machine
> Learning have become part of an overhyped mantra (that goes for
> blockchain, too). It is vital that the expectations for these
> technologies be tempered by deeper appreciation for their strengths
> and weaknesses. ML is narrow and brittle, producing dramatic results
> but also failing dramatically (see Generative Adversarial Networks).

I agree that current ML is narrow and brittle. However small
biological brains are brittle as well. Think about how much difficulty
glass windows give houseflies.

But increased size is no barrier to failure. Humans fail dramatically
also. Google "epic fail" for proof.

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think anything you (and Cerf)
have said detracts from the observation that artificial neural
networks are approaching the functionality of biological ones at an
encouraging rate.

What dramatic failure of GANs are you referring to?

> Finally, ML is NOT Artificial General Intelligence."
[snip]

Is a housefly Natural General Intelligence? How about your one of your
amygdala in isolation? What exactly is general intelligence again?

> I've been saying the same thing, but I'm not Turing Award winner.

I certainly agree that ML is not "the Singularity" but what about it
do you think is over-hyped? As far as I know, nobody is writing
Alpha-zero fan-mail just yet.

Stuart LaForge