[ExI] Vint Cerf on AI, at ORNL

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 5 16:28:34 UTC 2019

Bill do indulge me to post this forward to the list.  This was an offline discussion, but it is very much in line with the topic at hand.

From: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>

>>…As we get more sophisticated we run the risk of getting so smart, we figure out how our own brains work, at which time we become stupid by our own definition of smart.  spike

>…I do not understand your last phrase.  The more we know about psychology the stupider we get?  bill w

Ja.  Just as we do with software, we keep moving the goal posts.  Notice how far they have already moved for software, sheesh.

Consider what science has done.  It has persistently demoted mankind.  At one time we were the center of the universe.  Then Galileo came along, the sun became the center of the universe.  Then Darwin gave us the intellectual tools to demote ourselves again, from the special creation of that invisible guy (who lives in the women’s locker room at the U of Hawaii) to a species of ape.  Then Einstein showed there isn’t a center of the universe, and at every step along the way, we became dumber by our own definition.

Now psychology tells us we might eventually be able to understand how our own brains work, at which time we can write sims of ourselves.  We already have software which can understand speech and make pretty good inferences for what we want, which is a functional equivalent of what a phone receptionist does, and I can show you some phone receptionists who aren’t as good as phone software.

The more we know about psychology, the more predictable we apes become and the dumber we get by our own definition of smart.