[ExI] China will soon spend more money on scientific research, than the United States!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Sep 9 23:24:54 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 4:00 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] China will soon spend more money on scientific research, than the United States!

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM <spike at rainier66.com <mailto:spike at rainier66.com> > wrote:

>>the best way to remove the Republican party from office is NOT to vote for some idiotic third party candidate who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning even one electoral vote.

> …Unless you live in a free state,

And how do you know if you're living in a "free state" or not? By reading the polls.

Not the polls, but rather the betting.  The polls were a mess last time.  The closest pollster was Rasmussen, but that isn’t a poll, for it combines polling with the probability that a poll respondent will vote.

Most states we know for sure are free.

Texas, California and New York are three of the freest of states.  If the election is even close in any of those three states (where one’s vote would matter) then the general election is such a landslide that one’s vote wouldn’t matter.  Those three we can clearly see are free as a bird.  If ones vote matters there, it doesn’t matter.

Plenty of states are that way, but those three account for nearly a quarter of the voters in the US.

Some of the smaller states are free, but they don’t really matter anyway: Utah, Idaho, New Hampshire, Vermont, those kinds of places, far from the interface they are.

California is a great free state.  We already know who is going to get all those EC votes (rather we know who isn’t (but we don’t yet know who will (Biden?  Warren?  Gabbard?  Bernie? Clinton?  Who do you think?))

There are enough voters in California the libertarians could make a really strong showing and have their numbers span the spread at the national level this next time around.