[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Sep 11 03:30:33 UTC 2019

Quoting Rafal Smigrodzki:

> https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/08/civil-beat-poll-strong-support-for-tmt-but-little-love-for-ige/
>
> Of note, 44% of native Hawaiians support the telescope while 48%
> oppose it. Also most of the opposition to the telescope, regardless of
> race, is from people under 50 years of age.
>
> ### Well, yes, exactly what I wrote - lots of Hawaiians are racist
> and use the telescope issue as an excuse to stick it to Haole. 48%
> qualifies as "lots", doesn't it?

I am sure there are plenty of racists of all stripes but the data does
not bear out "sticking it to the haole" as the primary motivation for
opposing the telescope. For one thing, your hypothesis does not
account for the 34% of "haolis" i.e. caucasians who oppose the
telescope. Also, what do astronomers and an internationally-available
telescope have to do with race, caucasian or otherwise? The Japanese
and Chinese registered voters are overwhelmingly in support of the
telescope.

Stuart LaForge