[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 18:43:25 UTC 2019

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 1:59 PM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <

* > Is this the design for the telescope a  hideous eyesore?*

No.

> > Does it spew toxic waste?

No

> *This I don't understand.*

I think maybe I do. Wielding power can be fun and the Hawaiian protesters
proved that a very small handful of average people who have no special
skills or insights can totally derail a mighty 1.5 billion dollar telescope
and plunge a lot of non-average people with fancy booklearing degrees into
despair. That's a lot of power and some people in the Canary Islands were
playing close attention to how it all unfolded, and after that ... well...
monkey see monkey do.

John K Clark