[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Sep 21 17:22:43 UTC 2019

Quoting Rafal Smigdrozki:

> ### Oh, I agree with you there. Using state force to disperse the
> rioters would be counterproductive. But there are other methods -
> loudspeakers chanting slogans of science and playing music of the
> spheres, counter-protests with cavalcades of science fans on foot,
> pushing their way up, all on camera, bearing paraphernalia of our
> faith - telescopes, laptops, weather balloons and alembics full of
> frothing multicolored liquids. Let's have a citizens' astronomy
> night at the mountain - bring your own telescope, have you and you
> children look at the stars and listen to stories of our tribe's
> travails at the hands of forces of darkness. And if the rioters
> raise a hand against a child with a telescope, then that hand will
> be struck down.
> One percent of the TMT budget used as a public-relations tool could
> pay for a lot of counter-protests.

This is precisely the kind of creative strategies the astronomers need
to consider. The astronomers most certainly need to leverage the
support of the 44% of native Hawaiians who are in favor of the TMT
against the 48% that oppose it. That's just a 4% margin and easily
within the sway of clever PR and marketing.

Stuart LaForge