[ExI] ArXiv question

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 00:30:44 UTC 2019

I know plenty of folks cite papers on ArXiv. I’ve even done so. I haven’t done a search in this, but what’s the overall feeling here of how trustworthy a paper there? I realize that peer-reviewed papers have their problems too. I’m just thinking that overall, all else being equal, shouldn’t one treat a paper on ArXiv as less reliable that one published in a peer-reviewed publication?

Of course, some ArXiv papers do go on to to publication in a peer-reviewed venue. And some important papers never make to a peer-review journal, yet seem widely accepted inside their field. Also, I would rank, again all else being equal, ArXiv above, say, someone publishing it only on their personal site. This isn’t to diss these either. Someone’s dissertation or lecture notes might be punished on their personal site and yet be both pertinent and influential as well as accepted as valid inside their field.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst