[ExI] ccp struggles

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Apr 14 22:24:18 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] ccp struggles

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 3:40 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> Automatic firearms are damn hard to license.

>…Why isn't the same thing true for semi-automatic firearms?

You just demonstrated why.  You argued against automatics, which are already (functionally) illegal.  Then move on to equating those with semi-autos.  As soon as you get those under more rigorous control, you move right on to the next step.

The NRA exists for a reason: to stop that creeping compromise in its tracks.  This has been a good month for the NRA.

>…A bolt action rifle was good enough for all infantry soldiers in the first world war…

That was a century ago.  Now we have more reliable, lighter, more ergonomic, more accurate alternatives.

If you decide at what point the unorganized militia must stop upgrading their equipment, let’s set it a century in the future rather than a century in the past.

>…and good enough for the Germans…

…when they became the last western nation to institute slavery and murder millions of their own people, ja.  I can scarcely see that as a powerful argument.

>…and Japanese…

When they murdered 4 million unarmed Chinese civilians, ja.  Scarcely a powerful argument.

>… why isn't it good enough for home protection?

It isn’t only about homeland defense.  It is about arming the unorganized militia.

 > Most states disallow them

>…That would certainly be a very wise thing for them to do, but do you think It's constitutional?

The Constitution isn’t about what the states can do, it’s about what the Federal government can do.

>…Does that mean you think the second amendment has limits, or to maintain consistency do you still feel compelled to defend the retail sale of Nerve Gas and H-Bombs at Walmart?

I don’t think Walmart sells these things.

> are you the kind of person who holds others in contempt without any particular reason?

No, I need a particular reason to hold someone in contempt, being contemptible would do the trick…

John if you need no particular reason to hold someone in contempt, that says a lot about you.

> The Electoral College protects us from all manner of evil.

>…If California was as conservative as Wyoming and Wyoming as liberal as California I don't believe you'd be saying that…

On the contrary.  What states are conservative is up to the states.  We are discussing the US Constitution, which I have always believed in, and still do.  The reason it still stands today is that it has a second amendment.  The bad guys would have overthrown it a long time ago otherwise.

>…And the Electoral College sure as hell didn't protect us from the evil that resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue right now…

On the contrary.  The Constitution gives you the right to vote against whoever you wish and write whatever you wish without the fear the government will come and snatch you out of bed in the night, after which you are never heard from again.  The constitution protects you John.

>>… And I don't think religious freedom should have been specifically mentioned…

> I do.

>…Why? There are a infinite number of things you can do with freedom of the press and freedom of assembly, what makes talking to an invisible man in the sky fundamentally different from all the others?

Don’t know, but that isn’t my burden.  I don’t worry about that one and don’t think the Constitution needs amending to fix that.  Good thing: the first ten amendments cannot be amended.  Those are rights.

>>… Oh and I don't think slavery was a very good idea either.

> I agree.  See Amendment 13.  My ancestors fought to establish that amendment.

> The constitution doesn’t say anything about color.  Where are you getting these terms “white” and “black” please?  Neither word is found anywhere in the constitution,

Come on Spike, don't you think you're being a tad disingenuous here?

 John K Clark

Not at all.  The exact wording of the Constitution is important.

The 3/5th counting didn’t apply to free blacks in America.