[ExI] thawing of ai winter?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Apr 18 09:00:26 UTC 2020

On 18/04/2020 01:51, Rafal wrote:
> There may be two ways of doing it. The Tesla way is to use gazillions
> of data points from millions of drivers to force the deep learning
> network to generate all the solutions for multi-layered analysis of
> the world, in a way recapitulating the evolution from the lowly worm
> all the way to near-human understanding. Since the original
> evolutionary process took 600 million years, this method might take
> longer than expected. The other way is to look at the pre-wired brain
> structure and try to transfer insights from there to pre-wire a deep
> learning network.
>
> Does it make sense?

Makes a great deal of sense to me, but it's not the people on this list
that need convincing, and I'm the wrong Ben. I had an exchange years ago
with a more relevant Ben (Goertzel) about the relevance of modelling
existing brains to AI research, but he wasn't a fan, and thought a more
direct computational approach was the way to go, bypassing biological
brains altogether. Maybe he, or other AI researchers can be persuaded
otherwise now.

--
Ben Zaiboc