[ExI] Atheism again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:01:54 UTC 2020

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, I am aware of the violent authoritarian practices of
organized religions in history. But looking at the more recent history
of the West, I find that the religion of atheism, when sanctioned by
state power has been more authoritarian. Here in Eastern Europe
everyone has horror stories to tell about how someone in their family
was violently harassed (I am talking of real harassment, sticks and
stones, not words) by a state atheist regime for wearing a cross or
going to church.

> This confirms my main (actually only) point: That atheism IS a
religion because it acts like one.

If you want to make the case that Communism is either a religion or
something that occupies the same function in human "mental space" I
would agree with you.  I have written about this for decades.

I make a case that religions are mutually exclusive.  So someone would
not be a Baptist and a Mormon at the same time.  A human organization
would be a religion if it demonstrates this exclusive mechanism.  An
example that is not a religion would be a bowling league.  Membership
in a bowling league probably does not affect the chances of members
being in a religion.

Atheism is a lack of religion rather than a religion, though, by the
measure above, it would be unexpected to find an "atheist Methodist".
 Still, there is no organized atheist religion.

Keith