[ExI] Atheism again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 05:47:31 UTC 2020

Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 13:40 John Clark via extropy-chat <

>> I hope you're right and nobody around here cares about an omnipotent
>> omniscient being that created the universe, I can't prove the idea is wrong
>> but I can prove the idea is silly.

>  To the contrary, Bostrom has shown just how probable this scenario is.

Ah, are you aware that the modern simulation idea originated in a joke
between me and Hans Moravec at the1986 Artificial Life Conference?
Hans and I discussed this origin on this list.  I think I could find
it if anyone cares. (The idea dates back to Simulacron-3 (1964) by
Daniel F. Galouye though I didn't make the connection at the time.)

> However--even not in a simulation--I believe that reality requires an
ultimate contingency.  The big bang has a reason, and that has a reason,
and so does that.

I have read that the universe came about in a way similar to a bubble
forming in a pot of boiling water and no reason was involved.

> The only way to rationalize these infinitely recurring
causes is to assume said contingency, which I would call God.  Even a
simulator's world may have the some argument attached to it.  So if reality
is an endless series of creators--what's the difference?  The creative
force is God

I don't need to rationalize the origin of the universe.  It happened,
that's enough for me.  But if you feel the need for a god, that's OK
too.

Keith

PS.  I am starting to think there is a need for a book about the early
development of a long list of Extropian ideas.  Max More would be the
obvious one to write it, but I *might* consider doing it if he does
not want to write it.  Max gave me the early archives a couple of
years ago.  The book would be largely one of postings and explanations
from the early days.  Perry Metzger and maybe some of the other early
posters would need to review it.