[ExI] subways, was: RE: A potential COVID-19 vaccine

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:20:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020, 9:50 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> We are reminded.  It’s really pretty simple.  Now we know: spread out,
> reduce risk.

We need the "remote" work from home to continue as the new normal for those
who can.

I could live in a more remote location but have had to deal with commute of
an hour+ to reach an office that connects to servers in Kansas City. Now i
save 10 frustrating hours per week connecting to the same servers from my
house. My employer could seat someone else at the now vacant office desk,
or close that office completely since my whole office now works from home.
I control hvac to my preference, additional environmentals such as lighting
or music/quiet. Concern for productivity somehow being guaranteed or
effectively monitored by managers observing ass-in-seat is a poor excuse-
productivity should be measured by quality deliverables rather than time
spent.

I feel like we are on the verge of cementing this new norm. This would be
the casualty of "returning to work" if we allow the [en]titled lords to
send us peasants back to our toils.  Worse now that we have seen what could
be to have a taste of better only to have it taken away.

I guess soon many will have to make a choice.