[ExI] Arecibo radio telescope now collapsed completely.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 19:19:03 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 at 15:52, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Fortunately since the Arecibo dish was built, we have figured out how to do
> long baseline interferometry, which makes a group of smaller dishes act as a
> much bigger reflector.
>
> spike

Video of the collapse has now been released.

<https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/footage-arecibo-observatory-telescope-collapse>

Quote:
The incredibly dramatic new video, from the NSF website, shows the
view from a camera on the ground as the platform falls. The cables on
one of the three support towers snapped first, so the platform swings
down on the remaining two, where it hits a rock cliff just out of the
camera’s field of view.