[ExI] vaccine was: RE: damn doctors!

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:11:38 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:09 AM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat <

> I have never experienced nicotine, and sometimes consider sampling the
> gum once, but a package of the stuff is pricey enough that it seems like
> too much commitment!

I tried these:

https://www.amazon.com/Nicorette-Nicotine-Lozenge-milligram-Smoking/dp/B004RFF7ES/ref=sr_1_32?crid=127CHBSBWONT9&dchild=1&keywords=nicotine+lozenges+2mg&qid=1608224696&sprefix=nicotine%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-32

$11.48 for a 20-pack. Not cheap, but not a big investment.

I tried it after Robb Wolf talked about it. I didn't stick with it, though,
because I didn't notice much effect.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/transcripts/transcript-a-day-in-the-life-of-robb-wolf/

*Ben:  I may have to dig around for this one, but I’ll find a link to it
for everybody listening in if I can hunt it down.  Now, the other thing
that fascinates me, and that I just started doing after actually reading
this article that you wrote.  I’ve been chopping it down in the gym is…
nicotine gum.  I’m actually… I’m holding this stuff that I – the stuff that
I’ve found to be the lowest in colors and artificial sweeteners, and it
still has a little bit of acesulfame potassium in it which is uh, the stuff
made by the company Good Sense.  It’s uh, just take 2 mg per… but it
doesn’t taste that great but nicotine gum.  Tell me about the safety of
using nicotine gum and why you use it, and why you found with the use and
dosage of nicotine?Robb:  Well you know, gosh, it was 7 years ago I started
doing work for the Naval Special Warfare Resiliency Committee basically
going in and talking to the Seal Teams, the boat teams, and also the family
members of the teams and their pre-imposed deployment kinda get-together
that they would have, and they wanted me to talk about sleep, and food,
exercise, which the exercise is kinda goofy ‘cause these guys have that
pretty wired up, and it was part of what they want me to cover.  And then
they wanted me to cover some lifestyle stuff like booze, nicotine, you
know, caffeine, and all that because you know, hyper vigilant, environment
because these guys get on flip circadian rhythms where they’ll awake all
night, and they go to sleep during the day, they use sleep aids to go down,
they’ll Monsters and you know, all kinds of stuff to get back up and goin’,
and so, in my trying to do some due diligence when I was getting ready to
talk about nicotine, I was like – Okay, let’s just do some basic
pharmacology and toxicology on this so that I’m brushed up on these
stuff.As I started digging around on it, it was interesting because I
started finding all these studies of like the therapeutic benefits of
nicotine like it was beneficial for all these GI disorders and
anti-inflammatory, and you know, there was always the caveat that the
delivery mechanism tobacco was really problematic, but when they were using
just kind of a pharmaceutical type agent like a gum or a lozenges or
something like that, then you didn’t really have any issues when you look
at the toxicology specifically of nicotine, looked alike like caffeine like
you certainly could kill yourself with it but you know, every once a while
some nappy headed kid will order a pure caffeine off the internet, and get
a lethal dose of it but you know, it’s easier to kill yourself with Tylenol
than it is this stuff.  And it’s another dopamine modulator and I
definitely you know, I’ve all these symptoms of kinda low dopamine, just
kinda fit you to ADD like always need to project going on and stuff like
that.  I’m kind of happiest when I’m just barely on the edge of death by
doing something not cool headed.  And so, as I started really reading
through this stuff, I was like – wow! This is really interesting and then I
thought back about my family and thinking a little bit about my genetics.
I’m like – every one of my family members smoked and you know (chuckles)
and so I started noodling on this, and cigarette smoking had always just
completely repulsed me but I was kinda like, well shoot I’ll give this
stuff a shot, and so, my first try with it was a 4 mg piece which was way
too much, and I got horrifically nauseous, almost threw up, rooms spins for
about an hour, it was terrible.  So, if people play with this, I strongly,
strongly encourage you start off with like a milligram or less if you’ll
start.Ben:  I did, I did two.  What I’ve been doing is 2 and that’s
typically, because I do a hard workout.  Typically sometime between 4 and
7PM, you know, and I take a nap after lunch, right? and so I’ve woken up
from my nap the past couple of days and grab a piece of 2 mg and start
chomping on it, and I’ve found, I go pre-hard until about 9PM while chewing
on this stuff, and I haven’t gone above 2 mg yet.Robb:  And you know, I
pretty much stay at the 2 mg level.  I’ll do a couple of pieces throughout
the day, and what’s interesting is nicotine is a stimulant but it works
differently than the way that caffeine does.  It’s not just specifically
dinging the adrenals and kind of getting that epinephrine kind of release.
It’s working through a little bit  more of a dopamine energic activity, and
what was really interesting within the military context was it uh, it will
keep guys alert but if they, say like if they’re out on a patrol but they
were gonna get home or get back to base and then go to bed, it seem like a
better option if they needed to stay awake, but then they can sleep in
pretty close proximity to their work day wrapping up because it wasn’t
going to disorder sleep the way that caffeine does.  It wasn’t going to
antagonize melatonin release.  And what was also interesting is that it
didn’t tended in a wrap find motor skill, so if the guys knew that they
will gonna cover a lot of ground, and they will gonna have a heavy pack and
stuff like that, and I was recommending you know, like uh, something like a
50 mg of caffeine in every 4-6 hours to keep this activity, but then if
they will dug into a hillside and they will waiting to take a long distance
shot or something like that or even if it was as mundane as needing to stay
awake to finish a report and then go to bed, I was recommending the
caffeine or the nicotine for some of these other options, so they kinda
have different stimulants that they could use based off of what type of
needs that they had going on, and it’s just been phenomenal for me, and I
used to have all sorts of colitis long, long time ago.  The basic paleo
eating really helped that enormously, but I’ve always had still a little
bit of a touchy gut and the nicotine seems to help that quite a bit
too.Ben:  Interesting!  Very interesting.  You know, we’re returning back
to the discussion on genetics.  I did noticed when I went through my
promethease gene printout, I have a 4 times higher than normal risk of
being addicted to nicotine.  So I supposed you know for me, this could turn
into a concern or just very, very good business for whichever nicotine gums
business that I choose, but I’m curious if people are metabolizing it or
addicted to it in different ways, but regardless, I just did my own
personal experimentation with it and the research that I’ve done based off
some of the resources that you provide in the article that I’ll link to in
the show notes, it does appear to be safer than I would have thought based
off of the negative perception we all associate with it probably because of
cigarettes.Robb:  Yeah, you know there’s a fascinating web mdps on uh, like
if you Google WebMD nicotine gum, there’s a piece basically talking about
all these forms of smokers and now addicted to nicotine gum, and it’s
probably, I had 3 page ______ [1:00:46.7] all these hand wringing and these
concern, and then at the very end, the guy almost as if he kinda ______
[1:00:54.6].  I don’t know where he did research in this whole cycle or who
got saddled with writing this thing, but literally the last paragraph, the
guy basically wraps up and he said, “you know, it’s actually hard to
vilify”, like I’m left wondering if this is even an issue given the fact
that the nicotine itself pharmacologically and toxicologically really is
pretty dumb benign and that all of the negative effects that we usually
ascribe to nicotine is a by-product of the delivery system, the tobacco
whether it’s smoked or chewed, so that’s just an interesting read because
these guys are really they’re talking about… well, how do we get folks off
of this nicotine gum, you know, it’s a real concern, and then the guy
actually wraps it up by saying, “I, medically I don’t know that there’s
anything wrong with this, and that we’re wasting our time doing this.”  So
that, that was really fascinating piece because WebMD is about as orthodox
missionary-style mainstream medicine, it’s you can get.  So, and even that
guy was kinda like, I don’t know that I could really say that there’s
anything wrong with this stuff.Ben:  Yeah, I see that article here about…
it’s called “Addicted to Nicorette”.  I’ll link to it.  I’ll link to in the
show notes for folks, and of course the only thing I’ve run into in
addition to my concern over potential for addiction based on genes is the
fact that you know, I have this healthy xylitol flavored vitamin B enriched
like gluten-free, everything free, vegan sustainable gum that I chew, and
whenever I grab a piece, my kids ask for a piece, and I’m relatively
guilt-free but hand to him.  And so, I’ve been grabbing the Nicorette and
my kids like, “hey dad, can I have a piece?” and uh, so I run into the same
situation I run into when either vaping or drinking a cup of coffee trying
to explain to them that they need to wait a little while until they’re at
appropriate age and their organs/gray matter can handle that load but
uh…Robb:  It’s a concern ‘cause you definitely don’t want a kid digging
into your nicotine gum like that.  That would be a disaster.*