[ExI] vaccine was: RE: damn doctors!

Brian Manning Delaney bmd54321 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:54:06 UTC 2020

El 2020-12-17 a las 14:20, Dave Sill via extropy-chat escribió:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 7:43 PM Brian Manning Delaney via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     I've taken, and am making, the RaDVaC vaccine –
>
>     https://radvac.org/ <https://radvac.org/>
>

> Wow, cool! What a great idea.
>
> My concerns, of course, would be about safety and effectiveness. The
> side effects reported so far are mild. What's the worst-case scenario? I
> know the numbers are low, but is there any indication that it works? Or
> doesn't?

Yeah, I love RaDVaC. The power of the project can be generalized to far
more than vaccines. A two-pager I wrote when I first found out about
RaDVaC is here:

http://infinitefaculty.org/RaDVaC/

We're trying to raise funds to do confirmatory testing, but still have a
ways to go. It's tricky because we need to measure 1) mucosal immunity
(secretory IgA antibodies), and 2) T cell–mediated immunity, both of
which are hard to measure.

For now, we've gotten several reports of people being at super-spreader
events who did not get any symptoms, with one exception: an obese, type
2 diabetic 70-year-old man, who'd taken the vaccine, and "had a cough
for four or so days" after being at a such an event, where most of the
others present got very sick. Maybe the vaccine saved his life. We don't
know of course.

I've spent a lot of time in Sweden since July, where I followed "when in
Sweden, do as the Swedes do" (reckless, I know, but after a while one
loses resolve). Despite coughing blondes slobbering on me at bars, I've
never had symptoms.

These anecdotes don't mean much of course. My belief in the efficacy of
the vaccine is, rather, theoretical, sort of like never having heard of
a parachute when a parachute is offered to me on a plane that's about to
crash. I can “reason from mechanism” about the effects of being attached
to a large, light-weight horizontal surface, and can quickly decide to
accept the offer, even in the absence of clinical trials about the
safety and efficacy of parachutes.

Same thing with safety: the design has many risk-mitigation strategies
that make sense.

There are risks to any vaccine, but the risks of COVID-19 to someone,
like me – well into his fifties, with sub-optimal immunity, seem far
greater than the risks of RaDVaC.

But now that our design is mature, we're trying to get a clinical trial
started.

Brian

P.S. It's a legal gray area, but it seems that it might not be illlegal
for someone to come by my place in Boca Raton and make this with me.