[ExI] the science might be wrong

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 18:46:50 UTC 2020

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 03:08, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat
>
> So… we might be debating government authority, while the government is
> recommending a course which does more harm than good.
>
> >…It’s certain that a complete lockdown where everyone stays home for six
> weeks will eliminate the virus… Stathis Papaioannou
>

> Stathis, it isn’t at all certain that a six week lockdown would eliminate
> the virus.  We have politicians claiming it and saying our system is flawed
> because they aren’t given the authority to do things like that, but it
> isn’t clear at all that it would work.  It might make the problem worse:
> the virus could make the rounds inside an apartment complex somehow.  After
> the complete lockdown it could come back.  Nothing is certain.

OK, not certain, but very likely. Previous SARS outbreaks have been
contained and eliminated because they were localised and it was possible to
do this. It’s not possible to do it with the current pandemic given that
the virus has spread throughout the world. In Australia it had effectively
been eliminated (no infections and no active cases for months) but has
taken off again via cases from travellers in quarantine.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou