[ExI] hiccups

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Dec 24 17:22:44 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 8:27 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] hiccups

>…I cited a bunch of stuff I found on WebMD this morning to a doctor … she fussed at me for using Google …

bill w

BillW, I can explain what happened there I think.  It wasn’t your fault, you did nothing wrong.  You were the victim of misbehavior of her other patients.

Imagine your doctor, so weary of patients who want to play doctor by going online and finding all the goofy stuff out there, not knowing the difference between Mayo Clinic and mayonnaise (not you BillW (but think of what doctor hears every day from patients who saw ads on TV for this medication or that medication (which should be illegal in itself (BillW, her reaction wasn’t your fault (she was perhaps pre-pissed by her previous patient who wanted a toenail fungus medication as a prophylactic for the common cold (hey, they saw it on TV (and the actor pushing that medication saved many patients on ER.)))))))  That isn’t your fault, me lad, and really it isn’t hers either.

This is compounded by another problem I present to my own doctor: when a patient has a particular obscure condition or disease, that patient studies up on every aspect of that condition or disease and in that one very narrow area, that patient damn well does know more about that one area than her doctor.  This is not the doctor’s fault: there are thousands of common diseases, which the beleaguered doctor is required to master.  If a patient has nothing to do but learn about one of them, well sure.  In some ways a smart patient is a bigger headache for a doctor than a dumb one.

I am guilty: I have read about ivermectin as a possible medication to use for covid.  The medical community generally says it doesn’t work, or that we can’t prove that it helps.  There is not universal consensus on this, as a few studies suggest that it does help.  Depending on the patient, ivermectin has few downsides.  More specifically: the downside isn’t that far down there for most patients.  I don’t see why not try it if one can get one’s doctor to write a prescription (or one can buy it by other means (it’s a hell of a note when it is legal to buy dope but not prescription meds (which causes people to buy ivermectin from one veterinarian.)))  Note that I am not handing out medical advice, which is illegal.  Henry, disregard the above please.  I ain’t a doctor, don’t even play one on TV.  Ivermectin is for one’s pet aardvark or pangolin should one’s pet aardvark or pangolin develop covid.