[ExI] the science might be wrong

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 08:30:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 14:25, John Grigg via extropy-chat <

> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:"I guess the Chinese initially thought it
> wasn’t such a big deal and the problem would go away without anything
> special being done. Many people, including many on this list, including
> many in Government, are STILL saying this despite observing everything that
> has happened almost a year later! How can the Chinese be blamed for being
> insufficiently prescient?"
> -They had local doctors and medical authorities trying to get the
> government to take action, but these brave souls were threatened and
> muzzled.
>
> -The CCP dragged their feet for years in making real reform on these
> issues, despite epidemiologists from around the globe begging them to
> completely ban wet meat "killed while you wait" shops, that are the
> breeding grounds for pandemics, due to the many species of animals all
> crammed together in a tight space.
>
> -Three pivotal weeks passed where Xi and his inner circle, despite knowing
> there was a serious threat, decided to take no crucial action, and instead
> just sit on their hands and keep up appearances, while China infected the
> world. And now they charge poor third world nations for the vaccines which
> are needed for a virus which they allowed to infect the world....
>
> I think in the future we need intelligent leadership/control at the
>>> federal level, rather than letting each state decide how they want to
>>> respond to a growing pandemic. And despite the fact China/CCP sat on their
>>> hands for three weeks and let Covid infect the world, we need to examine
>>> how they managed to successfully control and eliminate the disease outbreak
>>> from their nation.
>>>
>>> I can't get over how so many people want to be the rebel and not wear a
>>> face mask properly when outside their home. Or think social distancing is
>>> just asking too much. I hope we can globally learn from the many mistakes
>>> made in handling Covid. Because if there is a next time, and there probably
>>> will be, we could face a much more lethal but equally contagious virus,
>>> which leaves tens of millions dead.
>>>
>>> And I hope somehow, someway, the CCP is punished/disciplined for letting
>>> the Covid virus get out of control and terrorize the world. They knew what
>>> was going on at the top, but they chose to sit on their hands and be
>>> concerned about appearances, rather than taking strong swift action to stop
>>> Covid from becoming a global menace. The U.S., Europe and the rest of the
>>> world should seize Chinese owned assets in their nations, as a form of
>>> reparations for the massive economic losses and the lost human lives.

Obviously, the Chinese authorities thought it wouldn’t be a problem. They
were wrong. Due to arrogance they didn’t want to admit they were wrong, but
they certainly realised it after a few weeks, and then they did something
about it. For people perhaps not as bright as the Chinese leadership it
took another few weeks to realise it was a big problem, when they saw
people dying in places like Italy. But what is the excuse of those who
STILL don’t acknowledge it?

> --
Stathis Papaioannou