[ExI] so many kinds of race, was: very informative

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Tue Dec 29 07:08:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-28 19:59, Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat wrote:
> Though humans frequently do express their situation as a "rat race" and
> some close competitions are "neck and neck" as in horse races.  We have
> previously discussed car races, but I think those who know better refer
> to them as "make and model"  Tachycardia can make your heart race.
> Perhaps less exciting to some, the channel for a set of ball bearings is
> also a race.

I think a millrace is the channel that brings water to a drive wheel?

And then the kind of race that I learned about in ... ah, I forget what
the class was called that covered gate logic.  Sometimes a change in one
input can cause two or more "simultaneous" changes of internal state
bits, but nothing is ever truly simultaneous and a variation in the
speed of propagation of signals can lead to randomness if you're not
careful.
So what's that called, a logic race?

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org