[ExI] Political Relativism (was very informative)

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Wed Dec 30 22:36:38 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-30 11:01, Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat wrote:
> But as Anton pointed out, it could just be that authoritarian people
> are attracted to political extremes as a route to achieving power
> over others.

Anton disclaims credit for that observation.  I meant to put causality
more the other way: unchecked power relieves the ruler of the necessity
of moderation, and so enhances whatever leanings the ruler had.

Hm -- were Thailand and Turkey, during their respective military
interregna, notably more wingy than in other periods?  I have the
impression that in both those places (unlike say Argentina) the military
regime described itself as a caretaker, governing until normal
government (purged of certain undesirables) could be safely restored.
But I am far from well informed.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org