[ExI] Possible seat of consciousness found

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:16:25 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:08 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <

> It's all about Evolution! If what you say about consciousness is correct
> then Evolution would have never produced it, and yet I know for a fact
> that it did at least once.

You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it true.  Evolution isn't some
omniscient overseer tweaking genes to achieve a desired result. It's
random mutations that have completely unintended consequences.
Consciousness happened not because "Evolution" wanted it to, but because
the right pieces came together the right way. Maybe human-level
intelligence requires consciousness, maybe it doesn't: it's possible that
both intelligence and consciousness improve fitness but they're basically
independent.

-Dave