[ExI] A world drowning in excess savings

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 19 21:00:02 UTC 2020

> > ...This is all down to the political influence of the banking
> > industry. And if you didn't like that, wait until you see what
> > the political influence of the AI industry gives us.

> Bill, try to think of a development which is the opposite ...

Spike, I agree that html has been a terrific benefit.
But html happened because of a lot of creative people
building cool stuff. I don't think it happened because
of the political influence of a wealthy and powerful
industry.

AI will bring enormous benefits but also has great
potential to concentrate power.

> ... of what we humans are tuned to sense, which is the ominous threat.

History teaches us that concentration of power is an
ominous threat. Often those with the power intend to do
good with it, but are corrupted [Lord Acton].

Bill