[ExI] kirinyaga

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:59:28 UTC 2020

The author died recently, I read - Mike Resnick.  So I ordered Kirinyaga.

I have never been more depressed by a book.  The main character is
extremely highly educated in Europe but is a shaman of East AFrican
descent.

He sets up a community on a far planet to keep to traditional beliefs.  One
example:  a baby is born feet first, so he kills the baby as it will be a
demon.  Another: one of the two twins must be killed because one woman
cannot produce two souls, so one must be killed as it will be a demon.

This sort of thing continues throughout the book. The shaman never changes
his mind one iota.  Maybe I missed the point.

I hope his other books are not so depressing,  Maybe one of you could
recommend one.

bill w