[ExI] Cities

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:43:57 UTC 2020

<spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

snip

 >  Your statistics compare all of Chicago to all
of Oakland.  The crime is concentrated down in the south side of Chicago,
the baddest part of town.

My point, if I had one, was that you don't have to go a couple of
thousand miles to find dangerous places.

> I don't get the whole big city thing.  I don't understand why people choose
it.

Mostly they don't have a choice.  It's where the housing is and the jobs were.

Urban Dynamics is hard to find but worth reading.

> Looks to me like you take enormous risk of failure of the intricate
mechanisms of life support.  The supply chain can get broken at any one of a
number of points, and the whole system can collapse.

That's always been the case.  We live in a golden age where most of
the time most people get enough to eat.  That has not been the case in
the past.  Did you see the article I posted a link to where the US
population in pre-civil war times was stunted because of a lack of
food?

> Well, there is no need to speculate: we see it.  Riots, grocery stores
looted and destroyed.  Now what?

They will be rebuilt.  Humans are flexible, and where there is a need,
they will fix things as required.

Keith