[ExI] L5 society and infections

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 11:39:55 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 7:26 AM Henrik Ohrstrom via extropy-chat <

*> When I was an young impressionable larvae I read O'Neills book about
> orbital colonisation and then I wondered about infelicitous problems.
> Nowhere in that book do they discuss quarantine and infections.*
> *How was this question addressed in L5 circles?*

Epidemics would be a very serious problem for a O'Neill space colony but
I'm not sure it would be a more serious problem than a Earth town of the
same size would have, it might even be less because there would be less
physical interaction from the outside world and thus fewer ways a new and
deadly virus or bacteria could enter the human ecosystem. On the other hand
I don't know how much radiation the colony would receive or how much it
would weaken the human immune system.

 John K Clark