[ExI] Evolution - 'Nature versus Nurture', but random noise as well

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Wed Mar 25 12:49:40 UTC 2020

On 24/03/2020 21:32, billw wrote:
> Someone asks me if nature or nurture mostly affects height and I say ...

You say "Sorry, you're asking the wrong question". Then point out why.
Hopefully they'll realise that it's actually an invalid question because
it assumes something false about the way biology works.

It would probably help to be armed with some examples of how environment
modifies the genetic material, which can also modify the environment,
etc., and how one gene can code for a product that's used in different
ways in different places and times (haemoglobin might be a very simple
example).

It's not even a case of imperfect execution of instructions, as several
people here have said. Sure, that happens, but that's not the point. The
point is deep and constant interaction between genetic material and
metabolism, plus several different aspects of the environment, at
different levels.

We might label a particular sequence 'the gene for height', but what
does that mean when we discover* that actually it has a lot more to do
with someone's ability to taste mint as having a cool sensation, as well
as being intimately connected with nephron development in the kidneys
and the propensity for developing tinnitus in later life? And almost
certainly dozens of other things as well. One gene-product expressed in
one tissue often has completely different interactions and effects to
the same gene-product in a different tissue. Or the same one, at
different stages of life.

Much more than facebook relationship statuses, biology actually does
deserve the label "It's complicated". Simple answers rarely work, and
simple questions are rarely applicable.

To go back to the original question, though, and what might be a
reasonable answer, how about "Both. It's always both, never** just one
or the other (or even 'mostly' one or the other)"? That would be a good
start.
Asking if 'Nature' is more important than 'Nurture' is like asking "Is
Warp more important than Weft?".

* I'm making these examples up, to illustrate the point. They aren't at
all far-fetched, though, and we're finding out more all the time about
just how damned complicated all this is.

** and of course, that's probably a simplification, as well!

--
Ben Zaiboc