[ExI] Everything We Know About the Upcoming ‘Dune’ Film

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 20:17:02 UTC 2020

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 7:41 PM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 3:20 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>> > I've tried, but have never been able to watch that one through. My
>> favorite Lynch film is 'Mulholland Drive' (2001). So many people love
>> 'Eraserhead' that I might have to give it another go.
>
> After about two minutes I decided to give up trying to make sense out
> of Eraserhead and instead just wallowed in its utter strangeness, and
> when I did that I found it was a hell of a lot of fun. It has images that
> are simultaneously hideous and beautiful, it takes real skill to pull
> that off. And the soundtrack is weird and wonderful too.

With Eraserhead, I just got bored. And don't get me wrong here. I'll
watch slow-moving films like 'Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce,
1080 Bruxelles' (1975). I also have nothing against watching
non-narrative or surreal films like Koyaanisqatsi (1982) or the work
of Jan Švankmajer. For whatever reason, I've just haven't managed to
get through more than a few minutes of Eraserhead.

> The first 10 or 12 episodes of the original Twin Peaks series was quite
> good, but it went swiftly downhill after that; Lynch should've ended it
> as soon it was revealed who murdered Laura Palmer. I didn't like the
> most recent revamp of the series that was on cable.

>From the beginning, I didn't love the Twin Peaks series, but I watched
the first two seasons through and plan to watch the rest and the
movies sometime soon. I'm kind of compleatist with these things. And
it's kind of like film/TV knowledge I want to have just to talk about
them with others.

By the way, I did see a difference in the episodes Lynch directs
versus the ones he didn't, though, to be sure, that's right up in the
credits. So I could be biased. He's episodes seemed better. But
overall I didn't see the show as anything more than Lynch indulging
himself. (The esthetic seems to come from his childhood rather than
the time and place the series is actually set in.) I've heard that
when the series aired it was quite the event. Maybe it's a matter that
it changed TV in such a way that looking back on it now I'm missing
just how innovative it was.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: