[ExI] Is the GPT-3 statistical language model conscious?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Oct 9 23:09:27 UTC 2020

Quoting spike at rainier66.com:

> Stuart, while this is outrageously cool, it is easy to predict it will
> merely result in our moving the goalposts once again.  It appears to me this
> passes the Turing test with flying colors.  But none of us here will argue
> that it is true intelligence.  As the Turing test redefines artificial
> intelligence, it simultaneously redefines intelligence.

We need to be very careful with moving these goal posts around so that
we do not inadvertently exclude future generations of baseline humans
from being intelligent. I am a public school teacher so I know of what
I speak.

I don't often quote the Bible but when it comes to AI, Matthew 7:2
hits the nail on the head:

"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged:
and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

Stuart LaForge