[ExI] Space Mining

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Oct 18 21:23:15 UTC 2020

On 18/10/2020 18:56, Stuart LaForge wrote:
> Quoting Ben Zaiboc:
>

>> On 17/10/2020 10:37, John Grigg wrote:
>>> Water will be the new gold thanks to its crucial role in sustaining
>>> life, as well as the fact it can be split into hydrogen fuel and
>>> oxygen for breathing.
>>
>> Hm, if you're going to breathe the oxygen, how do you burn the hydrogen?
>> And vice-versa.
>
> You are assuming a chemical rocket. Nuclear rockets don't need to
> combust hydrogen, they just need heat it up enough to ionize and exert
> thrust through a nozzle. Superheated hydrogen atoms and ions provide a
> higher specific impulse than the water molecules that are the
> propellant in traditional liquid fuel chemical rockets because the
> lower particle mass allows for higher propellant velocities for a
> given amount of energy.
>
>> I think you'd either have to waste a lot of hydrogen (or use it for
>> other purposes), or get oxygen from rocks.
>
> Water might be a compact way to store both hydrogen and oxygen for
> long trips, but it requires a significant amount of electrical energy
> to decompose into hydrogen and oxygen. Of course water is important
> for life support also, so perhaps it would more prudent to harvest
> hydrogen from the solar wind and interstellar medium and save water
> for life support.
>
> Stuart LaForge

Yes, good points. But, to niggle, I wouldn't call it 'fuel' when it's
actually 'reaction mass'. Water is also good for radiation shielding (as
is hydrogen if dense enough).

Not that I think any of this is really relevant, though, because space
is not a good place for biology. But I've voiced that opinion enough
times now. It seems that space colonisation (by biological humans) is a
topic like uploading (except in reverse). No real point arguing about
it, given people's resistance to logical argument.

--
Ben Zaiboc