[ExI] quote of the day

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 22:04:12 UTC 2020

I wondered at the time how this comedy would age, how we would view it 30
years down the road.  Now we know: very clearly that routine wouldn't fly
today.  spike
I suspect that humor of any age whatsoever, as long as the words and
situations can be understood, will please some segment of the population.
Aside from puns, most humor is based on anxiety.  Too much and they leave
the party.  Like most things, it depends on whose ox is gored.  And that
changes from time to time and segment to segment.  Sex jokes, bathroom
humor, pratfalls, will always be acceptable - it just depends on to whom.

And there is this:  a lot of humor that is just terrible - sexist, racist,
etc. - is very funny if very inventive.  And also: things we would not say
or listen to at such a party as Spike describes would be acceptable at a
comedy club - a permissive atmosphere.

Humor that is acceptable to everyone is probably not very funny at all.
bill w

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:13 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <