[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:16:23 UTC 2020

Please grumpy bears among us, do explain how you can justify your attitude?

spike

I have a grumpy side.  News brings it out, so I never watch TV news, and
only
for maybe ten minutes a day do I check the NYT and Google news, which
always.confirm my worst opinions of humanity

I wonder how many younger people take advantage of all the knowledge Spike
talks about online.  I suspect not many.  It's too much like studying.
Somehow we teach kids to hate school and never want to go back to it.  All
the stuff online they ignore, mostly, and take it for granted.  Me? I
wanted to stay in grad school forever and would have done so if I could
teach on the
side.

Some of us (hello John!) are like the poor guy in Dogpatch (who remembers
the spelling of his name?) who always had a cloud overhead.  I am anxious
to see what happens when we get rid of him.

And Spike, how much knowledge was in a 1950s public library?  I went often
but the place was never visited much as I recall.  And it never occurred to
me
to go deeper into the subjects I was taught in school.  That's something
you do
and leave behind, isn't it?

I was born with a love of learning and of words.  Few people seem to be.
If we
look at that from an evolutionary point of view, what good would those
qualities
do for a person who was going to be illiterate and do mostly manual labor
type
things all his life?  The rare person who got them was likely going to be
self
taught.

Pessimistic?  Nah. Realistic.

bill w

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:53 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <