[ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Oct 20 22:12:06 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Is the ExI email list slowly dying out? And if so, what can be done to reverse such an outcome?

>…Huh?   We've got malls all over the place.  What are y'all doing?  No stores all in one place?  bill w

They still exist, but it is easy to see the handwriting on the wall.  Bricks and mortar stores were already in steep decline before the covid crisis when California decided that retail theft of value less than 950 dollars was a misdemeanor, and the bad guys realized the cashiers were not allowed to do anything to them.  Then they could just go take whatever they wanted and walk out with it.  Mall security couldn’t help because a dozen of them could coordinate and go in simultaneously.  The retailers were helpless as a kitten.

Amazon anticipated all this and has been building warehouses as fast as they can hammer them together.  Now you just order what you want and Uber drivers bring it right to you, no problem.  These malls will all be empty real estate in a few years, or become Amazon warehouses.

This is a good thing for consumers: it is lower risk to the retailer and lower overhead, so the supply chain from manufacturer to consumer is more efficient.  When automated delivery vehicles are ready to go, it will streamline the process even more.