[ExI] sturgis - washington post

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:34:32 UTC 2020

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 02:51, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
<snip>
> Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't say the French originated the
> term. That was where my disagreement was with you. (The term doesn't
> even sound like something the French would originate, does it?)
>
> But actually I'm wrong too:
> https://www.etymonline.com/word/limey
>
> Then again, maybe not:
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/limey
>
> The latter is claiming an earlier origin and a US one. But in neither
> case is the term of French origin.
> Dan

The British sailors started drinking lemon juice to avoid scurvy and
later switched to lime juice.
(The lime juice was much less effective, but ships were travelling
faster, so nobody noticed).
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limey>
The English words 'lemon' and 'lime' originated from the 12thC French
word 'limon' which referred to all citrus fruits.
That's the only French connection.

BillK