[ExI] Fan of Sci-Fi? Psychologists Have You in Their Sights

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 16:21:31 UTC 2020

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 at 16:05, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
> As an experimental psychologist, and not one of those silly clinical people, I think they should get serious about mental illness.
<snip>

Re getting serious about mental illness,
People are starting to notice that the protection measures against
COVID are causing many new medical problems.

<https://summit.news/2020/10/23/sweden-refuses-to-impose-new-lockdown-measures-saying-people-have-suffered-enough/>

Quotes:
Sweden Refuses to Impose New Lockdown Measures, Saying People Have
Suffered Enough
Loneliness, mental health impact of lockdown balanced against COVID threat.
Paul Joseph Watson  Published 23 October, 2020

“The elderly, they said, have suffered enough,” writes Fraser Nelson.
“They have spent months being advised to avoid public transport,
shopping malls and other parts of everyday life. And the result?
Loneliness. Misery. This is more than unpleasant: it quickly
translates into depression, mental health issues and mortality. “We
cannot only think about infection control,” said Lena Hallengren,
Sweden’s health minister, “we also need to think about public health.”
An important distinction: focus on Covid to the exclusion of other
conditions and you risk lives.”

In the UK, hospitals have concentrated on COVID patients and cut back
or stopped all other illness treatments and cancelled hospital
appointments. This has led to many obvious problems and deaths.

BillK