[ExI] for classical music lovers only

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:17:46 UTC 2020

As I noted, you originally limited it to the past 20 years.  I take it as
obvious that "classical" is mutually contradictory with such a recent time
frame, so I thought you were seeking to step out of strictly classical
stuff.

Ironic that you note your experience with opera.  I have much the same
problem - but in my case, I perceive that one is meant to understand and
enjoy the words as the primary thing, with the tonal presentation merely
being an enhancement.  If I can not understand the words, then I can not
understand what people are doing on stage - and they're usually not
dancing, or otherwise visually presenting in a way that would go along with
audio where voice is more of a musical instrument than a conveyor of
meaning.  For this reason, I tend to shun classical opera, as I can not
enjoy it.  (Where the voice is just an instrument, I can enjoy that.  Where
the words are clear, I can enjoy that.  But not where there are words that
are supposed to be understood - and where this is more important than the
music, if any - but the vocals are incomprehensible.  This does not seem to
be due to any identifiable hearing deficit, which leaves me wondering if
people who claim to enjoy classical opera are able to understand the lyrics
as sung - or perhaps if they have cheats, such as printouts or prior
knowledge of the lyrics, which they forget to mention because "any true fan
should already know these things", which is a type of barrier to entry that
I have seen in multiple other fandoms.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tAbhrDUrqM is an example of "has voice but
only as an instrument, not words" that I listen to sometimes.  (Partly
since I have a minor personal connection to the game this is part of the
soundtrack of.)

I sometimes listen to classical purely instrumental music, but only for
"good + purely instrumental", not caring about "classical".

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 11:13 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <