[ExI] for classical music lovers only

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Oct 30 20:59:21 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] for classical music lovers only

>…You  know, I have had this thought:  what if we heard the movie music before we saw the movie?

OK cool, I can answer this one.  Read on please.

>…After seeing the movie, we will have visual images to go with most of the music, memory allowing.  ("I go to the hills....."  Julie Andrews in an Alpine meadow)…

I go to my DVD collection and put on Sound of Music, one of my all time faves.  Julie was soooo smoking hot in that, oh mercy.

>…The questions are:  can the music stand alone?

Sure can.  Never mind the Sound of Music example: that was some of Rogers and Hammerstein’s best work.  Breezy, nothing heavy, but very pleasant, ja?

>…  I suppose a test could be listening to old movie music whose movie you have not seen.  Or maybe someone in the group can tell me a movie they liked, and I can listen to the score - or part of it, at least, should be on Youtube - an invaluable resource… bill w

I was in a band where we played a score from Oklahoma! the musical.  I had an 8-track and liked the songs on it.  Many years later, I viewed the original screen Oklahoma! which I found mostly disappointing and silly.  I completely understand a musical: they need to wrap a story around good music.  But that one didn’t work for me.

I have another one I might try: South Pacific.  I like the music, I have played it in both an orchestra and a band.  Haven’t seen the movie, but I want to.  I read the book, Michener’s Tales of the South Pacific, which was very good, being as he was there, and wrote from firsthand experience.