[ExI] dead bikers

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Sep 3 02:11:47 UTC 2020

I agree Sturgis was an interesting experiment. Here are my fast and
loose approximations: For the past few weeks the USA has averaged
about 40k new cases a day. So assuming an infectious window of 5 days,
that is about 200k people infected and infectious at any one time.
That means that about 1 in 1500 Americans is actively spreading virus.
So if 460k bikers attended the rally, than about 300 bikers should
have brought COVID-19 with them when they attended. So if those 300
bikers spent a week carousing with half a million people and only
infected 260 new cases, that suggests an R0 of less than 1. For that
many people to spend that much time together shirking masks and social
distancing rules and still having an R0 that low means that most of
the bikers were already herd-immune. I think vaccine or not, the
American portion of the pandemic will be done by winter.

Stuart LaForge