[ExI] Fwd: Help Us Reimagine Energy for the DoD!

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 21:36:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 11:53 AM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

> That would make the cost of power a few dollars a kWh.

For reliable, uninterruptible power at remote facilities that they don't
need to refuel and only need to ship in a rectenna for (as opposed to a
heavier generator)?  Yeah, they'd pay that price.

> I think the scale mismatch problem is so bad that it is not worth
> looking into.  But if you are interested (and know how to do it) I am
> willing to check your Excel model if you want to create one.  I think
> Seth Potter's 2009 paper has the math you would need.

You know how to do it.  That's why I'm asking you.

> Such a power satellite would be very different from those considered
> in the past.  To decrease the spot size on the ground by a factor of
> ten requires enlarging the transmitter in GEO by the same factor.  So
> a 1 km transmitting antenna becomes 10 km, 100 times the area.  The
> much lower power density would prevent thermal problems.

Or, same size spot on the ground, and just use a much lower power density.
They can claim land if needed.

If you think these numbers are acceptable to the military, and you
> want to sell them on the idea, I can introduce you to Paul Jaffe.

No, the point is to get you or Paul to sell them on the idea.  You
(collectively) have the data necessary to do this sales job.  I may have
important pieces that you apparently do not, but I am not the one who can
sell them on this.  They want to talk to the experts directly, and that is
you and Paul.