[ExI] good news for libertarians

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 24 15:38:26 UTC 2021

>… On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] good news for libertarians

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021, 10:01 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. …  Soren Kierkegaard

>…Dude might have been happier with some mood meds ... but then would the world have the benefit of Kierkegaard's other work?  Mike

Great beauty comes out of suffering.  Consider a couple of modern examples.  Fleetwood Mac did their best work ever (the stunning Rumors album) while both couples were going thru a divorce and terrible heartbreak.  During that time, no two members of the band liked each other, yet they somehow wrote and produced Rumors.  ABBA wrote their best songs during their marital breakups.  Steinbeck’s best work (East of Eden) was written mostly during his worst years, after his first marriage broke up and second one hadn’t started.

Happy people do not write profoundly insightful truths.  Happy people write fluffy silliness, such as the kind of posts I regularly… eh… like… ummm…  such as Hallmark movies!  Like Hallmark movies, which are written by happy people, yep, just like that, those things.  Traditional westerns with the two fellers in a gunfight, the winner gets the buxom lass, saves her ranch, that sorta thing.  And Harlequin romances, all written by happy people, makes ya just wanna barf.