[ExI] mit covid study

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 21:53:37 UTC 2021

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 07:02, spike jones via extropy-chat <

There’s probably no point in wearing a mask outdoors if you are on your
own, but there probably is a point if you are within centimetres of other
people and there are thousands of cases a day in your city. It’s harder to
make a rule that people will follow if you make mask wearing contingent on
proximity to others. In fact, it’s hard to make a rule about proximity to
others, since multiple times a day people may pass close to each other
anyway, even if they are trying to avoid doing so. So enforcing mask
wearing indoors if case numbers are low, indoors and outdoors if case
numbers are high, is a practical way to address this, even if the evidence
is not completely convincing, since masks are relatively cheap and benign.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou